Sunday, October 14, 2007

Falling off, and Getting back on . . . the wagon

I have had a rough time of it, knitting-wise, and this was the last straw:


The remembrance hat, which I had queued in Ravelry, was going to be my
quick knit x 3= 3 spiffy walkers in the women's 5K yesterday. It ended up being only 1 (not 3) and not worn (well look at it, would you?), because, well, because it was unwearable (it was supposed to be fitted!). This is what sent me into a knitting anxiety attack.

I just cannot get it together---I knit, and the yarn pools; I knit and the gauge is off; I knit and the gauge is on but something else is wrong; I knit and it is just the wrong yarn; I knit and I am going no where, and finish nothing. I can't take it.

So, Friday afternoon, I packed it up. It was every work in progress that was in/beside/around my knitting basket (2 socks--each who have finished mates; 1 cardigan; 1 pullover; 1 mitten; 1 hat; 1 nearly started shawl; 1 tank top; the infamous mystery shawl). Each, with the accompanying pattern and needles, got packed in a separate plastic bag. And they all got shelved. Every one of them.

And then I needed to pick a new project. My self-imposed parameters:

1. High probability of success (ie, no changes in the pattern, no changes in gauge, no sizing issues).
2. No yarn purchases to knit, and no pattern purchases either.
3. I had to love it.

Friday, night--no knitting: couldn't meet my above 2 rules. My ravelry queue is full of projects . . . how hard could this be???? Socks?? No. I couldn't choose which pattern OR which yarn, too many of both. Mitts??? No. None of my yarn seemed right. Shawl??? Can I really cope with complicated patterns with cobweb like yarn. NO.

Saturday morning--no knitting. Saturday at noon, while I was ironing, and worrying, it came to me. I dug out the Jaeger Chamonix (in twig and since discontinued) that had been sitting in my closet for 2 years (when I got it, I had a men's vest in mind . . . ) and cast-on for . . .

Totally Autumn by Ann Hanson . . . totally lovely.

I think this might do it. No fit issues, lovely yarn (okay it is not Briar Rose, and it is not in pink), no purchase necessary, interesting pattern (I love lace knitting with thicker yarn), right gauge, right size needles. I think I am back on the knitting wagon.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home